SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

On Behalf of Albums

If you've read my 7.24.06 post, Spin & Recycle, you know how I feel about iPods, digital downloads and the general disregard Americans seem to have for "the album." I recently came across an article by Mark Geil that shares some of my views, but also explores the topic at large. Check it out here. Highlights include the following excerpt.

I recently bought a "digital album"—a live EP, exclusively on iTunes, and I did get six songs for my five bucks, a pretty good deal. Trouble is, I've got nothing to show for it. They're on my iPod, and my computer, and I could burn them onto one of those insipid blank CD-R discs which I would probably forget to label, but I can't get over a very basic deficiency: I'll never be able to pull out the booklet, ponder the lyrics, read the liner notes, and round out my music experience.

I miss the tangible things.

In light of all this hubbub, I am tempted to buck the system and start buying vinyl exclusively...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home