SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Monday, October 13, 2008

My Two Cents: Jennifer Hudson

A big Dreamgirls fan, I was excited to learn that Jennifer Hudson's debut CD was recently released. To my disappointment, I enjoy the album artwork more than the actual recording. (The artwork may even make my Best of 2008 for artwork/design. Stay tuned...) The standout tracks bookend the record -- the first cut (and first single), "Spotlight," and the last two tracks -- JHud's passionate Dreamgirls' encore performance, "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," and the traditional spiritual "Jesus Promised Me a Home Over There." Rather than allowing Hudson's exceptional vocals room to soar, most of the disc features average, middle-of-the-road, romance-gone-wrong flatliners. Sadly, this extraordinary songbird has been confined to a stale pop cage and an ordinary stage.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home