SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Griffin in the House

As promised, here are my thoughts on the recent Mat Kearney/Griffin House show. 

Having seen both artists more than once, I knew what I was in for. I actually preferred House's (at left) stripped-down opening slot to Kearney's full-band set. It was nice to see Kearney with a full band for the first time, but it was House's very personal songwriting and gut-centered passion that moved me. (He is, after all, "Bono-meets-Johnny Cash.") At the same time, I was thrilled to experience Kearney's great success. It was apparent to me that his mounting accolades and steady touring have encouraged his growth, in terms of confidence on stage. On one hand, I am glad for him -- that he feels more comfortable in the limelight -- and, on the other hand, I hope he doesn't lose his humble persona, and always stays true to himself and his purpose. As for the standing room only aspect, I don't know that it was worth breaking my vow for this show. (See my 10/6/06 Stand By Your Man post.) I look forward to sitting down at the Over the Rhine Christmas show next week...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home