SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Old Enough to Know

Am I getting old or just changing? Don't get me wrong -- I love and need a good rock-n-roll anthem, and even a good urban jam, when the time is right. (Never underestimate the power of a powerhouse hook or a hot beat!) I just find myself with less and less interest in alternative, rapcore and rap/hip-hop tunes these days.

For example, for the last many years, I have named Skillet one of my favorite bands. A few months ago, the band released its most critically acclaimed record to date. I bought the album and can understand the celebration behind it, but, surprisingly, I am not thrilled with Skillet's success the way I may have been just a few years ago. In fact, despite this major victory, I recently removed Skillet from my list of favorites, shocking even myself.

Of course, I know that I am changing and developing as a person and an adult, as I continue to seek growth and health. I welcome wellness, wisdom and maturity. But is my commitment to growth responsible for my morphing musical tastes?

Perhaps some of it is due to the fact that I am purposefully engaging my writing gifts, with the intent to develop them more fully. Acknowledging the fact that, arguably, some of the best lyrics are sung by singer-songwriters, folksters and thoughtful rockers, it makes sense that I've been drawn to those genres more exclusively.

I also confess that in my personal and spiritual advancement of late, I am beginning to see the world with new eyes. I am appreciating the beauty of a good line or a good melody more than ever before. In light of that, I suppose that hard, harsh, dark, trite music is less and less appealing.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Note: Admittedly, if all I listen to is deeply moving, beautiful music with well-crafted lyrics, I eventually crave a good dose of party music to break up all the intensity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home