SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

For Nostalgia's Sake: A Picture of the Eighth Wonder

Listening to Poor Old Lu's A Picture of the Eighth Wonder reminds me of two things: 1) The guys in my second band, Hope for the Flowers/Eccentric Mr. Levi/MR. levi (our name morphed a few times). Rob, Matt, David and Dave introduced me to Poor Old Lu. I never became a huge fan of Lu, but I do love this album. Since then, I've kept tabs on the Lu crew ventures outside of the band (Rose Blossom Punch, Aaron Sprinkle, Serene, Fair, etc.). Years after my introduction to Poor Old Lu, Lu's drummer, Jesse Sprinkle, produced a project for my drummer Matt's band, annie's apology. I still consider here's to hoping aa's best record. 2) WTHS, my alma mater's radio station. 'THS was a huge part of my college experience. I DJed all four years there while at Hope College and was a staff member for two, serving as the personnel director and traffic director. Poor Old Lu's "Chance for the Chancers" was in my regular rotation at one point. I'll always remember dancing around the on-air booth with my on-air cohort, Emily (a.k.a. Dave), when that song began to spin. 4.10.07 Correction: Though the men of MR. levi are fans of Poor Old Lu, it was my on-air partner, Emily, who first introduced me to POL.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home