SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

For Nostalgia's Sake: For an Open Sky

Listening to Velour 100's For an Open Sky always reminds me of a show that I saw with my good friend Dave in the late '90s -- Velour 100 at Four Friends Coffee House in Grand Rapids, Mich. To this day, I name that concert among my all-time favorites. The band filled that cozy venue with a colorful sonic haze. Dave and I sat in the front row, closed our eyes and got lost in the aural atmosphere. None other than Rosie Thomas fronted the group at that time, far before she became an indie goddess. I smiled when I realized that THAT Rosie was the same Rosie Thomas garnering notoriety and a nice little fanbase today. I bought For an Open Sky at that show. I didn't know it that night, but the EP was to be V100's final album; one that the band self-released. As such, it's now out of print, which is just another reason why I'm so glad I was at Four Friends that fine evening.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home