SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Brightest Diamond: A Sparkling Debut

I saw new artist My Brightest Diamond open for Sufjan Stevens last month. I was so impressed, I special-ordered her CD from Borders weeks after the show. Shara Worden's musical moniker, MBD is signed to Stevens' label, Asthmatic Kitty. Worden served as Stevens' Illinoisemaker cheerleading captain and has been touring with him for a good while. She has an engaging live show -- her mix of electric guitar, piano and dramatic vocals keeps things interesting. The songbird's freshman release, Bring Me the Workhorse, is one of my favorites this year. Well-written lyrics, innovative arrangements and solid production make BMTW a standout record. Also notable, Worden produced the disc herself. Her voice is a powerful tool, which she uses expertly -- from haunting whispers to operatic screams. In a league all her own, MBD blends indie rock guitar with vocals from another era. Think Judy Garland meets Nina Simone meets PJ Harvey.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home