SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Two Cents: Freedom Writers

Laugh if you will, but I primarily bought this movie soundtrack to reconnect with my inner, early 90s hip-hop head. My sister and I recently watched Freedom Writers and broke into happy hysteria when we heard the likes of "Hip Hop Hooray," "Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)" and "This Is How We Do It." Besides loving the film itself, I like the theme song "A Dream" quite a bit. Created by Common and will.i.am (of the Black Eyed Peas), the new song is an inspiring, anthemic cut, featuring samples of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s most famous speech. In addition to the aforementioned tunes and original instrumental tracks composed especially for the movie, the album includes Talib Kweli's "Listen!!!," Jeannie Ortega's "It's R Time (Lenky Remix)," Cypress Hill's "When the Ship Goes Down," 2Pac's "Keep Ya Head Up," Gang Starr's "Code of the Streets" and The Pharcyde's "Officer." I love me some old school jams!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home