SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

My Two Cents: Do You Feel

I interviewed Bryce Avary (a.k.a. one-man band The Rocket Summer) for HM Magazine a couple of years ago to promote his sophomore indie label release, Hello, Good Friend. I had the chance to see him and his touring band some months later when they played the basement of Nashville's Rocketown. I almost didn't buy his first major label project, Do You Feel (released July 17 on Island Records), because, despite his obvious talent and passion, HGF did not excite me. But being a sucker for a good price, I found the new album at Target for $9.99 (regular price). I was pleasantly surprised. The 24-year-old has definitely matured over the past two years. His vocals sound a little more developed and the lyrics a little more grown-up. I like the guitar-driven pop/rock of DYF much more than the piano-pop-driven sounds of HGF. And it's amazing what a bigger recording budget can do for ya.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home