SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Mix '06

I compiled a Christmas mix disc this week. Wanted to share the list with you, as well as my thoughts on each selection. I'm sipping eggnog as I type.

1. Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
* Christmas isn't complete without Nat.
2. Over the Rhine - Silent Night
* Off of OTR's gorgeous album The Darkest Night of the Year. Even my Jewish friend loves the disc!
3. Kirk Franklin and the Family - Silent Night
* Thought it was interesting to following OTR's version of "Silent Night" with Kirk's version. I love me some black gospel!
4. Amy Grant - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
* This record is a favorite amongst my family. This track makes me merry.
5. tobyMac - O Come All Ye Faithful
* My man T-Mac brings it! I LOVE this version, including his raspy vocal flavor.
6. Evie - Come on Ring Those Bells
* A Hall family Christmas classic from back in the day, I remember the record player spinning this little ditty when I was just a kiddy.
7. Jars of Clay - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
* I love this delicate, yet earnest arrangement.
8. Sixpence None the Richer - You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
* A rarity, this track was released on Flying Tart Records' Starball Contribution a year before anyone had heard of "Kiss Me," while 6P was still living in obscurity.
9. Bing Crosby - White Christmas
* The movie White Christmas is another Hall tradition. I only wish Crosby's co-stars were featured on this cut.
10. The Katinas - Let It Snow
* Nothing says Christmas like family harmonies.
11. Jenny Gullen & Derri Daugherty - Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
* This is one of top two favorite Christmas songs. I love the fact that it isn't a commonly known carol. I learned it while in high school choir. I was thrilled to find this version on Via Records' Noel. Jenny fronted one of my favorite bands of all time, Hoi Polloi.
12. Russ Taff - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
* I love to close my eyes and revel in Russ' rich voice.
13. Kevin Max - The First Noel
* As I've said for years, this boy('s voice) stirs my SOUL! K-Max is in fine form here, sans his typical "goat-boy" vibrato.
14. Kirk Franklin and the Family - Jesus Is the Reason for the Season
* Old school style: I had the privilege of singing in a gospel choir during my college years. We did this song one year. This is such a fun tune; brings back such great memories.
15. Crystal Lewis - Winter Wonderland
* It was truly difficult to choose ONE cut off of Crystal's terrific album, Holiday!
16. Eric Schrotenboer - Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
* This is the second of my top two favorite Christmas songs. I also sang this in high school choir. It has such a sense of history to it. I have yet to find a version of this song with vocals. This cut is a solo piano piece. Eric is a fellow Hope College alumnus.
17. Sufjan Stevens - Holy, Holy, Holy
* As featured on this year's Songs for Christmas. Simply beautiful.
18. Kevin Smith - In the Bleak Midwinter
* This was released years before Kevin legally changed his name from Kevin Max Smith to Kevin Max. Kevin's velvet voice thrills me. His version of this song has spoiled anyone else's attempt to cover it.
19. Over the Rhine - Darlin' (Christmas Is Coming)
* Off of OTR's new record, Snow Angels. I had the pleasure of hearing them do this song live last week. Very addictive.
20. Da'dra Crawford & Nee-C Walls (of Anointed) - Angels We Have Heard on High
* I love to hear these ladies SANG. Their big voices end the disc with a bang.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home