SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My Two Cents: Begin to Hope

: JAZZY, CLASSICAL POP :

I had seen and heard a lot of good things about Regina Spektor and her latest record, and had been contemplating a purchase. So, when I saw that Target sells the disc for $9.99, I doled out the cash. Sadly, I don't really care for the album. It's not terrible, but it doesn't do anything for me. Ms. Spektor does not provide the same pizazz that My Brightest Diamond and Over the Rhine do (both of which have similarities to Spektor's style). Perhaps a live performance will win me over someday. I do like "Us," a cut off of her previous project. I've read that that record is more "sparse" than Begin to Hope. Accordingly, I fear that I may prefer Soviet Kitsch to this album.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger matthew lovell said...

I heard Regina on a live radio show but had not heard her name anywhere else. Good to hear this name again.

Too bad the record is dissappointing. Is it a little too eccentric? I suspected it would be.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Amy E. Hall said...

No. Not too eccentric (MBD is far more than she is). Compared to MBD and OTR, the music and vocals are just a bit weak for my taste.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home