SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Monday, August 06, 2007

My Two Cents: Undiscovered

I hate it when pre-releases (or radio edits) ruin me for other song versions. It's happened again with soulful singer-songwriter James Morrison's debut, Undiscovered. I picked up Borders' free, exclusive, two-song, live, acoustic James Morrison sampler months ago. I much prefer those versions of "You Give Me Something" and "Wonderful World" to the full-band, studio recordings on Undiscovered. I think it's safe to say that I would enjoy a fully acoustic, live record more so than what was crafted on the Brit's freshman release. Regardless, Morrison is a notable talent. His rich, raspy voice does not match his skinny-white-poor-boy look. I will say, however, that the sonic flavor added to Morrison's vocal and acoustic guitar tracks during production match well with and support his accessible, other-era sound. His list of favorite artists -- Otis Redding, Al Green, Cat Stevens, The Kinks and Van Morrison, per Wikipedia -- lends an accurate composite of his own style.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home