SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Diary of a Disappointed White Woman

I need to get something off my chest. I've been wanting to say it for nearly a year now, but felt too badly to do so. That's because I've been a fan of Josh Schicker's music ever since he started the band paisley dave during our years at Hope College. From day one, Schicker's vocals engaged me. It was the sense of urgency in his voice that was so believable. Though the band changed its name to the episode, Schicker remained the group's frontman and chief songwriter. Since the band's dissolution, I've kept track of Schicker's solo career. After two great solo albums, Schicker made a trip down to Nashville to record with well-respected producer/engineer Mitch Dane. I was so thrilled for him and anticipated an amazing third album. (I even named him my favorite independent artist of 2005 in HM Magazine.) I hate to say it, but I have been quite disappointed with Moonlighting. I don't know if 1) his voice was tired the week he recorded; 2) he has taken a different direction vocally since his second release; 3) he was "being careful" because the project was too costly to chance a bad take; or 4) someone (namely, Dane) "coached" him vocally. Whatever the reason, it's the lack of warmth and passion that have always been synonymous with Schicker's vocals that leaves the new album sounding "safe" and sterile. Josh, if you're reading, forgive me.

Note: As many of my posts make apparent, I am not afraid to speak my mind on matters of music. It just gets tricky wearing two hats at once -- music critic and friend.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy E. Hall said...

What?

7:55 PM  
Blogger t-HYPE said...

I think you should start a whole nother blog under the post title! LOL.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home