SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Monday, August 28, 2006

My Two Cents: Blue on Blue

I've been a fan of Leigh Nash since the mid-90s, after hearing Sixpence None the Richer's freshman release, The Fatherless and the Widow. I loved the melancholy pop that Nash and guitarist/songwriter Matt Slocum brought us from day one. I first met Nash back when her last name was Bingham (before she married PFR's drummer, Mark Nash) at a little youth hang in Grand Rapids, Mich. during the band's This Beautiful Mess tour. She was shy, sweet and sincere. I witnessed her musical career blossom over the years and caught many Sixpence shows. Not long ago, I watched her debut her solo material at a club here in Nashville. (See my Two on Tuesday post.) These days, she's more quirkily endearing than ever.

To be honest, I have to admit that, had I not discovered Sixpence, I don't know that I'd pick up her solo album. Don't get me wrong -- Blue on Blue is a solid, adult pop record and Nash's vocals have never been stronger. Canadian producer Pierre Marchand (Sarah McLachlan, Rufus Wainwright) brings not only notoriety but beauty to the project. To her credit, Nash co-wrote all 11 radio-single-worthy tracks. Many of the tunes have a timeless pop sound, which should ensure her some great movie soundtrack spots. I guess the sad thing about this record is that it's an official reminder that Sixpence is no more.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy E. Hall said...

That's why it's so important that folks see her live. As you and I know, that's where she REALLY shines. ;)

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home