SPIN and TELL

A MUSIC BLOG: disc dialogue. music magazine memorabilia. concert catalogue.

Friday, September 01, 2006

I Can't Stand "Standing Room Only"

I'm really at a loss. Over the last year or two, I've truly grown to detest standing through an entire concert. By the time you get there early for a decent "seat" (spot), wait in line for the doors to open, stand around waiting for the first opener to start (late), survive two (or three) opening acts and actually see the headliner, you've been on your feet for several hours! Call me old and crotchety, but I refuse to do it anymore. However, Mat Kearney, one of my favorite artists (see my My Favorite Artists post), is playing Nashville's Exit/In on Nov. 17. Unfortunately, Exit/In is typically standing room only. Thus, the rub. Don't get me wrong -- I've suffered with back, leg and feet pain many times at Exit/In and seen some amazing shows there -- Gavin DeGraw, Eisley, The Elms, Lifehouse, Mute Math and Sixpence None the Richer, to name a few. But, that was then and this is now. The real sticking point is that of Kearney's opener, Griffin House. Kearney + House = 2 gr8 singer-songwriters. I'm honestly torn at the moment. The real question is, if Exit/In hosts a show featuring singer-songwriters (versus rowdy, sweaty rock bands), why can't the venue offer chairs to the patrons? Maybe they'll surprise me this time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home